Still need to do some brainstorming, but I think it could be fun to create a variation of a Phenakistoscope, the forerunner of Zoetrope. ❤ I’ve always been inspired by videos I’ve seen of them? Especially the ones I’ve seen on bikes?
Trapped Souls / Jiwon Shin + Becca Moore – 2018
Jiwon Shin and I collaborated for our Midterm Project in Danny Rozin’s Physical Computing class. We created a box of “trapped souls” that need your help escaping! Move the box around to help the souls find their way back into the world. Once you’ve released one, another one will appear that needs your help as well.
A: ‘Trapped Souls: Dana’ is a video capture of Jiwon testing the VFX and Sound code
B: Trapped Souls (youtube clip): is a quick demo video of the intended interaction. Where with a tilt, the accelerometer knows to apply a specific movement distortion to the ghost image based on the x, y position data change. It keep track of your “attempts”. Once you reach a certain amount of attempts, the soul escapes back into the world ❤
Github code here
I made a quick prototype last night with some materials around the house like the cardboard from a Cinnamon Toast Crunch box and a CD case to help with the Pepper’s Ghost illusion. Jiwon kept working with bluetooth options and had a feather coming in tonite. So fun! : D We’re using P5.js on a smartphone to create the image and by decreasing the particle amount, the program is able to run much better now on the phone too ❤
My Halloween Midterm partner is the wonderful Jiwon Shin! ❤ ❤ ❤ Initially we were inspired by the optical effect of a Pepper’s Ghost hologram . After some super fun brainstorming (and some pepper’s ghost youtube watching), we landed on the idea of using an accelerometer to sense if we’ve “shaken” ( tilted ) a bottle or not to help a trapped soul escape.We were very inspired by Yoko Ono’s exhibit “We are all water”
This week we watched videos about serial communication as well as videos to help us with the fabrication side of things. I learned lots of great tips from the past residents as well as excited to try both the acrylic enclosures and Tom Igoe’s idea of lasercutting mat board as a quick solution to keeping things organized in the prototype stage without sacrificing a week to build a box. Instead, it allows you to problem solve/user test in the interim – later developing a final box that best suits your project. I also had no idea you could twist wire like in Bendetta’s tip, and will take to heart what Luisa learned about wire flexibility and UI. Will make sure to use illustrator to help me imagine my UIs
I also really appreciated Tom’s ideas about how we have to shift our thinking when making interactive art – the idea to let the viewer / user interpret the work. [ Making Interactive Art: Set the Stage, Then Shut Up and Listen ]
This week I revisited some of the past labs, including Analog/Digital inputs & outputs. This Friday, in addition to meeting with my super fun mid-term partner – I hope to continue to the lab review from this week, starting with Sensor testing into Serial communication labs. I also want to continue with the tone lab playing with FSRs + Flex sensors. Looking forward to the Programmable Air flyby this friday too 🙂 ❤
When you use analogWrite() to create pulsewidth modulation (PWM) on an output pin, you can change the on-off ratio of the output (also known as the duty cycle) but not the frequency. If you have a speaker connected to an output pin running analogWrite(), you’ll get a changing loudness, but a constant tone. To change the tone, you need to change the frequency. The tone() command does this for you.
(lower volume – very dissonant ❤ ❤ )